Reflection
Mont Lawn Camp Internship
This summer I worked as a CIT Coordinator/Specialist training teenagers to be counselors. This job has been an ongoing process of planning and figuring out ways to not only help these teens transition into productive and extraordinary staff, but helping them grow spiritually and mentally. Both my co-leader and I spent two weeks together not only getting trained as a staff member but also preparing for the kids. We planned the program so that the kids will get exposed to a variety of things the camp has to offer as well as creating things for them to help build trust and community with the rest of their team, teaching them how to become servant leaders, etc. With that in mind our program incorporated low ropes activities to help the CITs learn how to work well together. We felt outreach would be a great component for the program to help encourage and provide experiences where they could give back to someone else. Every Wednesday morning to afternoon they would participate and Bushkill Outreach and the day before they spent their afternoons helping clean up camp, whether it be cleaning bathrooms, cleaning out cars, etc. It was great hearing from a camper how grateful she was for that experience because she learned what it meant to serve others. She said that when she goes home she wants to try and be a better help to her family; which I believe is a great mark of success.
In addition, for two days we started a curriculum called Getting to Know which illuminates God in everyday life. It consisted of video testimonies of teens their age and how they have experienced God whether through the death of a friend or family member, disabilities, insecurities, etc. Through this program we wanted to show them that God is evident in all aspects of their lives. This summer we decided to place a theme for the program which is, “Falling in love with Jesus”. Our central goal was to help direct them spiritual to build relationship with the Lord. It’s now always an experience and a journey that gives the feeling of flowers and daffodils; at times it’s a struggle but it’s that relationship that can carry them through. It is relationship that gives them strength, joy, love, peace, mercy, and security. Moreover the first 2 weeks was pretty much orientation where we taught them the basics of working with children and from them in the kids were given chances to observe which evolved into interaction; helping counselors with children. A great part of the program is that we have the CIT’s mentor 8-9 year olds; which can range from taking them to areas on camp or giving them scripture.
My personal experience working with teenagers has been a rocky road, especially because I am new to it. I am use to working with adults and children and preteen. After a week of working with the CITs I had very little confidence unsure if I could complete the job. I didn’t really know how to minister to the girls because most of them were pretty strong in their faith whereas the gentlemen were not, or just put God on the back burner. Even in the 7th week I was still unsure if I was making a difference. But I realized it was God who needed to make the difference. I just needed to be a willing vessel. Most importantly I needed to get out of my comfort zone. This has been something God been teaching me for a while now but in many facets. Surely this has been the most extreme, thus far, but its always extreme when you are in the situation. God was showing me that if I wanted to grow I had to move I had to branch out and be open. I had to learn how deny myself and my wants to serve others. I had to learn how to let God drive and go for the journey that He was ready to take me on. I’ve learned that no matter what ministry education and knowledge you have you always have to let God direct first before you move.
Lastly, I did not have much interaction with my supervisor but he has sat me down and talked to me about some things I need to keep in mind. He told me that I am a perfectionist, which is the first time anyone has ever said that to me but I can see how, but in that I take failures hard. Even the slightest mishap seems like something so outrageous. If I continue to do ministry like that I will always be discouraged, I will always feel inadequate.
This summer I worked as a CIT Coordinator/Specialist training teenagers to be counselors. This job has been an ongoing process of planning and figuring out ways to not only help these teens transition into productive and extraordinary staff, but helping them grow spiritually and mentally. Both my co-leader and I spent two weeks together not only getting trained as a staff member but also preparing for the kids. We planned the program so that the kids will get exposed to a variety of things the camp has to offer as well as creating things for them to help build trust and community with the rest of their team, teaching them how to become servant leaders, etc. With that in mind our program incorporated low ropes activities to help the CITs learn how to work well together. We felt outreach would be a great component for the program to help encourage and provide experiences where they could give back to someone else. Every Wednesday morning to afternoon they would participate and Bushkill Outreach and the day before they spent their afternoons helping clean up camp, whether it be cleaning bathrooms, cleaning out cars, etc. It was great hearing from a camper how grateful she was for that experience because she learned what it meant to serve others. She said that when she goes home she wants to try and be a better help to her family; which I believe is a great mark of success.
In addition, for two days we started a curriculum called Getting to Know which illuminates God in everyday life. It consisted of video testimonies of teens their age and how they have experienced God whether through the death of a friend or family member, disabilities, insecurities, etc. Through this program we wanted to show them that God is evident in all aspects of their lives. This summer we decided to place a theme for the program which is, “Falling in love with Jesus”. Our central goal was to help direct them spiritual to build relationship with the Lord. It’s now always an experience and a journey that gives the feeling of flowers and daffodils; at times it’s a struggle but it’s that relationship that can carry them through. It is relationship that gives them strength, joy, love, peace, mercy, and security. Moreover the first 2 weeks was pretty much orientation where we taught them the basics of working with children and from them in the kids were given chances to observe which evolved into interaction; helping counselors with children. A great part of the program is that we have the CIT’s mentor 8-9 year olds; which can range from taking them to areas on camp or giving them scripture.
My personal experience working with teenagers has been a rocky road, especially because I am new to it. I am use to working with adults and children and preteen. After a week of working with the CITs I had very little confidence unsure if I could complete the job. I didn’t really know how to minister to the girls because most of them were pretty strong in their faith whereas the gentlemen were not, or just put God on the back burner. Even in the 7th week I was still unsure if I was making a difference. But I realized it was God who needed to make the difference. I just needed to be a willing vessel. Most importantly I needed to get out of my comfort zone. This has been something God been teaching me for a while now but in many facets. Surely this has been the most extreme, thus far, but its always extreme when you are in the situation. God was showing me that if I wanted to grow I had to move I had to branch out and be open. I had to learn how deny myself and my wants to serve others. I had to learn how to let God drive and go for the journey that He was ready to take me on. I’ve learned that no matter what ministry education and knowledge you have you always have to let God direct first before you move.
Lastly, I did not have much interaction with my supervisor but he has sat me down and talked to me about some things I need to keep in mind. He told me that I am a perfectionist, which is the first time anyone has ever said that to me but I can see how, but in that I take failures hard. Even the slightest mishap seems like something so outrageous. If I continue to do ministry like that I will always be discouraged, I will always feel inadequate.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home